EVENT IS NOW FULL
The SKODA Ring of Clare Cycle is now full. We are no longer operating a waiting list at this stage as no additional places are available.
Transfer of event places is no longer accommodated – This transfer option window has been in place since Jan 1st until July 21st. Cyclists who send in requests for transfers after this date cannot be accommodated.
Cyclists who turn up without being registered in the event will not be allowed entry on the day. The event sold out weeks ago and we will not be in a position to offer places on the morning of the event.
RIDER PACK 2017
You can now download the 2017 Rider Pack with all you need to know about the preparation for the event. Click on the link to download – Final Rider Pack 2017
This year the SKODA Ring of Clare Cycle will be hosted at the grounds of Clarecastle GAA club. The grounds are located on the Limerick side of Ennis (turn left at the Maxol roundabout as you enter Ennis from the M18.)
The event venue will have onsite car parking accessible before the event, changing and shower facilities and will host the after party SKODA BBQ PIT, SKODA Massages and onsite bar facilities for rehydration if needed.)
START PREPARING – YOUR REGISTRATION FORM IS YOUR ID FOR SIGN ON
This year you must bring the confirmation of registration form that you received by email when you registered. This must be printed out and signed by you and brought to the sign on event.
You will have to sign this registration form and present it at the event sign on (Friday or Saturday) in order to collect your event ID. Your form will be used for scanning you into the event and is designed to speed up the registration process for cyclists. If you did not receive the registration form when you registered contact firstname.lastname@example.org – Please do not leave this to the day before or day of the event to check as the team will all be on site. Wednesday 26th July is the last day for online support in relation to your eTickets.
REFUNDS / TRANSFER OF ENTRIES
Transfers were accommodated until Midnight, Friday 21st July. The event accommodated transfers between cyclists from January 1st to July 21st. This will be strictly enforced with no exceptions. The last day for a transfer of places was Friday 21st July and cannot be extended.
REFUNDS – As stated and accepted by cyclists as part of your event registration process and terms and conditions for the event no refunds are issued for the event.
If you have already transferred a spot or received a transferred place – If you registered on time to qualify for an event jersey – the size you requested will be the size given to the person you are transferring the place to. Jerseys were ordered based on what you ordered at the time of registration. At this late stage we cannot change orders.
PREPARATION IS KEY
The majority of technical issues / bike failures happen in the first 20-30km of most events. This is because cyclists do not check their bikes or simply pump their tyres. Avoid the hassle of a mechanical issue by getting your bike looked at or simply pumping your wheels. Don’t forget to bring spare tubes for your wheels.
EVENT START TIMES
• The 160km cycle starts at 9.30 am
• The 120km cycle starts at 10.00 am
• Both cycles start from Clarecastle GAA Club.
• If you are cycling in the km event please do not enter the start area with your bike until the 160km cyclists depart at 9.30am.
EVENT SIGN ON
There will be three options for participants to sign on for the event. At sign on you wil receive your event jersey and event ID.
The Night Before – Friday 28th July
Ennis – Between 4.30pm and 8.30pm at Al Hayes SKODA garage on the Gort Road, Ennis.
The Day of the Event. Saturday 29th July
Event sign on starts at 7.30am on the morning of the event. The event office is located beside the clubhouse of Clarecastle GAA.
YOU MUST BRING YOUR EVENT TICKET THAT WILL BE SCANNED TO ALLOW YOU ACCESS TO THE SIGN ON AREA. This was sent to you when you registered and includes a bar code for scanning. You will also have to sign this form before you arrive. Sign it when you print it and avoid delays.
What you will receive when you sign on for the event:
1. You will receive your SKODA Ring of Clare Cycle event Jersey* and PowerBar pack. (PLEASE NOTE: The event jersey is given to cyclists who registered in the early bird slots – no gillets are available to purchase at this stage)
2. You will also receive your event identification that you must wear in order to access the Feed Stations and gain access to the event start area. (You will replace a bike tag and wristband) Your must present your ID wristband at the end of the cycle in order to get your BBQ burger at SKODA BBQ Pit at Clarecastle GAA.
3. Event map and event safety guidelines.
When you sign on for the SKODA Ring of Clare Cycle you will receive two forms of event identification
1. Bike Event ID – to be attached to your seat post – without this bike ID you will not be able to enter the start area or avail or on route services / supports and food stops.
2. Event wristband with bar code and event number – You must wear this event wristband in order to cycle. This will contain the event emergency numbers. These will be colour coded based on the event you are cycling i.e. 160km or 120km. You will need to display your event number to access the food and refuel stops on the routes.
There is a dedicated event Car Park on the grounds of Clarecastle GAA
Please do not park on Church grounds in Clarecastle or residential and commercial areas in Ennis. Please respect the residents of Clarecastle, Ennis and commercial premises in the town.
NB: The SKODA Ring of Clare Cycle not a closed road event and you must adhere to the normal rules of the road.
• Cycling on the route is maximum of two a breast.
• The event is a sportive and not a race and you are responsible for your own safety and the safety of others on the road.
• Your will receive an event map and key safety details at event sign on.
• The routes selected for the SKODA Ring of Clare are generally quiet roads but you will encounter some main road junctions where you must be extra cautious particularly entering and exiting towns such as Kilkee and Kilrush. Please be aware of traffic on all roads.
• SKODA marked directional signs will be placed throughout the route and marshals will be evident throughout the route. Please remember marshals are only there to assist. You must check for oncoming traffic at all junctions.
• All participants will be provided with an emergency contact number in the case of an emergency on the route. Please note this is not a number for bike repairs.
• You are responsible for taking part in the event on a safe and suitable bike. Participants are responsible for their own bike maintenance. There is very limited mechanical support system will be in place and will sweep throughout the route.
• Please ensure you have spare tubes in the event of a puncture and do not rely on the emergency number for help with changing punctures etc.
• No earphones permitted
• No tri bars permitted
Familarise yourself with the routes and visit our SKODA Strava page on this website.
160km FEED STATIONS:
The feed stations for the 160km route are located at;
- Doonbeg Community Centre (50Km)
- Kilrush Shamrocks GAA Club (110km)
- POWERBAR Refuel Station – Kildysert
120km FEED STATIONS:
The feed stations for the 120km route are located at the Kilrush Shamrocks GAA Club (60km) plus a PowerBar refuel station at Kildysert. Please note that if you do not avail of the first stop at Kilrush Community Centre, the PowerBar Refuel station will only provide energy drinks.
We recommend you also bring also your own supply of cycling gels, bars and drinks. Evolution Bikes will have a retail option on the Friday night and morning of the event.
Ambulances and roving paramedics will be available all day, should anyone require medical assistance it will be administered in the fastest possible timeframe. Please call the emergency contact number provided on the day for medical emergencies.
The 160km and 120km routes are marked out with distinctive SKODA cycling directional signage.
WHAT TO BRING:
Your bike must be in good working order to cycle either the 160km or 120km routes
– Water bottle (s)
– Spare tubes and a Puncture repair kit
– Mobile phone with credit
– Emergency money & ID
– Energy snacks
– Wind / Rainproof top – Participants must be aware that weather conditions in this area can change and you should bring appropriate clothing to keep warm in any adverse weather.
– Sunblock – we hope you will need plenty of this.
AFTER THE EVENT
After you cross the finish line you will receive your well earned 2017 SKODA Ring of Clare Cycle finishers medal. There will be a presentation area for some pictures and this year you will receive a well earned BBQ at the SKODA BBQ pit. You will have to present your event wristband in order to claim your well earned burger. No ID band, no burger.
POST EVENT MASSAGE
ISMT will provide massages for cyclists in the SKODA Cycling Dome area in Clarecastle GAA club
This year there will be on route photographers to try and capture pictures of as many cyclists taking part in the event as possible. The event cannot guarantee that all cyclists will be photographed but will be doing our best. Photographers will be at the event finish and podium area as well. Images will be uploaded to our Facebook page and the SKODA We Love Cycling Irl facebook pages after the event.
Showers will be provided at Clarecastle GAA Clubhouse.
BIKE FLEADH – ENNIS
Ennis and the wider Clare area is ready and waiting for the cyclists and their friends and family. A wide range of entertainment options will be hosted in the area on the night before and night of the SKODA Ring of Clare Cycle. Visit our blog / news page for the updated programme.
NO HELMET NO CYCLE – this will be strictly enforced
LEAVE NO TRACE: The event operates under a Leave Non Trace litter policy. Please respect the Clare countryside and its residents and bring home your litter. Please do not litter the area with gel sachets, empty bottles or food wrappings etc.
PUNCTURES Please ensure you can change a puncture and bring spare tubes. It may be some time before support can arrive to a spot where a cyclist may have picked up a puncture so please ensure you can change your own wheel or cycle with someone that will assist you to avoid long delays that will impact on your enjoyment of the day.
We hope you have a great day out in Clare set against the backdrop of the Wild Atlantic Way, Loop Head Peninsula and the Shannon Estuary.
NB: The sportive is not a closed road event and you must adhere to the normal rules of the road.
The route will be marked out in numbered sections with distinctive signage with a number that correspond to specific parts of the 160km and 120km routes. This is for ease of identifying where cyclists are on the route in the case of a medical emergency. Please take note of the section numbers where possible as you pass by.
Please ensure you can change a puncture and bring spare tubes. It may be some time before technical support can arrive to a spot where a cyclist may have picked up a puncture so please ensure you can change your own wheel or cycle with someone that will assist you to avoid long delays that will impact on your enjoyment of the day.
As stated in the online registration the event does not issue refunds for late cancellations or no shows.
We hope you have a great day in Clare against the backdrop of the Shannon Estuary, Loop Head, the Wild Atlantic Way and the County of Clare.